Friday, January 8, 2010

Betty and Me


We are on day two of heavy snow and I have spent some time curled up with a book and an afghan. It didn't turn out to be 'Snowbound' as I had predicted, but one of my good old cookbooks! (You just never know where your muse will take you).

I had been thinking that watching 'Julia and Julia' would be really great, but I didn't have the DVD. Then I was thinking that reading 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' would be really great, but I have given it away. Then I remembered that I have a cookbook that, like Julia, I have made almost everything in it - and it was all really good. It's my Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Not only is it good, but it's really old. I remembered where I first saw it, but I couldn't remember when.

I had turned into the cookbook aisle at B. Dalton's and there it was, propped up in it's own little cardboard display in the middle of the aisle. I took one look at the luscious red-orange cover with the picture perfect dishes on it and I fell in love. This was totally irrational because I was well on my way to becoming a food snob and would not normally consider having anything to do with something as banal as BETTY CROCKER.

How old is it? It took a while to find out. When I looked it up on line I discovered that there are more than one red-orange editions and I couldn't remember exactly what mine looked like. About 20 years ago I covered it with wallpaper and mystic tape because it was looking a little worn. Since there was no copyright info inside, I took the wallpaper off and there it was - looking pretty well preserved for a 30 year old cookbook that is used daily. 1978 is the first year this edition came out and I think that's when I bought it.

It was well worth the purchase if only for the five beef pot roast recipes and seven variations on pages 12 and 13; I've used these recipes countless times. Or for the Mandarin Salad on page 134; I use the sweet-sour dressing all the time on any salad. Or for the Bean-Mushroom Medley on page 166; several generations of our family have become famous for this dish. Or for the Watermelon Supreme on page 287; the aloha sauce is a superb addition to the fruit. Did I mention the Bonnie Butter Cake on page 247? It makes the best birthday cake ever. Of course, then there is the whole pie section. But I won't go on.

Julia of the book and movie had Julia Child to inspire her and she spent a year working through MAFC. I started out with Julia Child and James Beard, but in the end it was good old eveyday Betty Crocker that inspired me - and has continued to do so for 30 some years.

Sometimes you CAN judge a book by its cover!

1 comment:

k*handtke said...

Personally, I couldn't do without the exact same Betty Crocker cookbook. It's "me and Betty" ... we're r e a l tight when it comes to cooking and baking!