Thursday, March 5, 2015

Going Green

Today it is 10 degrees and going much lower tonight.  The ground is mostly snow covered with a few patches of very dead looking brown grass.  The idea of Spring seems almost like a myth. There is absolutely nothing green outdoors.  I am craving green, so I went around the house finding green things for my table.


I am wondering if the colors show well in these pictures.  I usually take them in the morning, but I think the light is too harsh then.  Next time I will wait until the afternoon.  I went thrift shopping a few weeks ago and picked up these adorable plates.  I love the plaid rim.


Actually there are two different designs.


The green napkins and brass rings were treasures from the same trip.  (I may have to move the napkins to the side.  It looks like my place settings are wearing hair  bows and if Mr. Bill has that thought it would really gross him out.)


I paired new $1,00 pressed glass goblets from Dollar Tree with vintage Czechoslovakian crystal wine glasses.  Surprisingly, they have a similar pattern.  The crystal does have a much higher monetary 
value, but mine are actually priceless.  They were a gift to our family from relatives in Slovakia.  My in-laws traveled there in 1976 while Slovakia was suffering under Russian rule.  The people had little, but were very generous in sending such beautiful gifts to us so that we would remember them.


Two brass candlesticks (stacked), some faux ivy,
 and a gently used light green candle complete the "greening" of my dining area.



I  think my new favorite color is green!

2 comments:

Birchbright said...

I love green! And if you think about it, God uses green as the general backdrop in Spring and Summer, here in the Midwest. There's something about a Spring green that excites my color addictions. Maybe it's equated with Spring's hope of colorful-new-things-yet-to-come. I just brought home the most brightly colored daisies I could find at the store to tuck here and there around the house. Color!!! Fresh flowers!!! (And, it was above zero when I got up today - albeit +1, but yesterday it was -27.)

Birchbright said...

Oh, and the plaid rimmed dishes are extra cute!