Wednesday, April 24, 2013

From the Kitchen of My Hearth and Home

.
Cherry Almond Bars
If you are new to my blog, you might get the impression that my hearth and home has only a library and a chapel.  Well, it has neither.  I do have some great bookshelves and a little prayer corner -   I use and enjoy them  both.  But, the center of my home has always been the kitchen.

The past few days my kitchen has been BUSY making things for our Ladies Sodality Salad Bar.  It's our biggest fund raiser of the year.  We draw ladies groups from a fifty mile radius and of course we always worry about having enough food!

My contributions were a double batch of Oriental Chicken and Rice Salad - a recipe from my daughter Karen - and my own tried and true Cherry Almond Bars.  Technically, it's a coffee cake, but so rich and tender that I serve it as a dessert.  The last time I made this recipe was for a tea,  served  with whipped cream.

CHERRY ALMOND BARS

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter,softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 can cherry pie filling
Glaze (below)

Heat oven to 350.  Grease jelly roll pan, 151/2 x 101/2 x 1 inch.  Beat sugar, butter, shortening, baking powder, vanilla, almond extract and eggs in large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, until blended.  Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 3 minutes.  Stir in flour.  Spread 2/3 of the batter in jelly roll pan.  Spread pie filling over batter.  Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls onto pie filling.

Bake until light brown, about 45 minutes.  (Mine is done sooner),  Drizzle with Glaze while warm.  Cut into bars about 2 1/2 x 2 inches.

GLAZE
Beat 1 cup powdered sugar and 1-2 tablespoons milk until smooth and of desired consistency.  (Mine always takes more milk).

This recipe comes from a booklet that I ordered from General Mills some years ago:  The Best Gold Medal Recipes of 100 Years.  It's  magazine size and is a real treasure.  It contains the whole history of General Mills and 'Betty Crocker' mixed in with dozens of 'tried and true recipes'.  I wonder if it is available anywhere on-line?  It's worth the hunt.

BTW, I like Betty.  We are old friends and you can read about it here: http://myhearthandhome.blogspot.com/2010/01/betty-and-me.html

No comments: